Our Parochial Church Council (PCC)
Safeguarding Policy Statement
Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from the creation of all in God’s own image and likeness. Christians see this potential as fulfilled by God’s re-creation of us in Christ.
This implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to protect them from harm.
- We accept and endorse the principles set out in ‘Safeguarding in the Diocese of London’, and in the full policy document
- We accept and fully endorse also the London Diocesan principles most recently set out in Promoting a Safer Diocese – (Nov 2018)
- We follow the guidelines set out in the Parish Safeguarding Handbook – Promoting a Safer Church.
- * click on the links to access the documents
- In particular, we commit ourselves to nurture, protect and safeguard all our members, particularly children, young people and vulnerable adults.
- We recognise that safeguarding is the responsibility of the whole church community.
- We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection, appointment, training and support of those working in both paid and voluntary positions with children or vulnerable adults, including the use of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosures and making appropriate referrals to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- We will respond without delay to concerns or allegations that a child or vulnerable adult may have been harmed, cooperating with the police and social care services in any investigation.
- We will challenge any abuse of power by anyone in a position of trust.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them appropriate pastoral support.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
The PCC of this Church agreed and adopted the above Policy at its meeting on 29 APRIL 2018 and will review it on 28 APRIL 2019
We have appointed
CHURCH SAFEGUARDING OFFICER (CSO)
Our Safeguarding Officer is the first person to speak to if you have any concerns around the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult.
Annette can be contacted on 07771 544201
and CASEY HAMMETT
The Children’s Champion is here to be an advocate for all children in all areas of Parish life, making sure their views are heard and their needs are thought of.
Casey can be contacted on
Paper copies of this, together with any parish guidelines and procedures, are held by
FR JONATHAN KESTER AND ANNETTE FRITZE-SHANKS
The PCC shall review this policy annually. The next review will take place on or before : 28 April 2019
Signed on 29 April 2018
Fr Jonathan Kester – Vicar
Robert Cox – Churchwarden
Harin Perera – Churchwarden
Other useful numbers
London Diocesan Safeguarding Advisers DSA 020 7932 1224
CCPAS 24 hour helpline 0303 003 1111
Family Lives 0808 800 222
Childline 0800 1111
Action on Elder Abuse helpline 0808 808 8141
24-hour National Domestic Violence helpline 0808 2000 247
NAPAC offers support and advice for adult survivors of sexual abuse 0808 8010331
MACAS for people who have been abused by church officers 0808 801 0340